Friday, April 29, 2011

Low Fat and Sugar Free Homemade Granola - Mmmmmm!

I am a sucker for anything with crunch - mix that with the cold, creaminess of Unsweetened Almond Milk and I am in HEAVEN!  Which is why I don't buy cold cereals...they were and always will be a trigger for me for overeating and portion control. 

But that doesn't mean I cant enjoy my crunch!  My all time favorite was always granola.  But so many granola's are choc full of calories, fat and lots of SUGAR...mostly from the dried fruits and added sweetness that is not needed in this awesome healthy breakfast or snack.

I found a way to combat my portion control, do away with the sugar, and still get my crunch - homemade granola!  It's simple, delicious and takes 15 minutes total!  And the best part- NO SATURATED FATS OR SUGAR - it's all healthy fats that your body needs.  99% of women do not get enough healthy fats in their diet.  I tell all my clients to follow the 'Rule of 3' - put 3 healthy fats in your diet a day from sources like olive oil, flax, salmon, avocado, all natural nut butters, raw almonds - but use correct portions:
Olive Oil: 1 tsp
Avocado: 1/4 of avocado
Salmon: 3-4ounces
Flax Seed: 1 tsp
Almonds: 1 ounce (about 20 nuts)
Almond Butter: 1 TBS

Adding healthy fats to your diet will actually help to combat tummy fat and help you get lean!

Back to granola: I make an individual serving in the evening and store it in an air-tight container for the next morning.  This way, I can't eat 2 servings...I only have one!  If you want to make more than 1 serving, just multiply the recipe :-)

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Whole Rolled Oats
2 tsp sliced raw almonds
1 tsp flax seed
Cinnamon, nutmeg and clove spice to taste
1 egg white

Combine all ingredients in a bowl until moist.  Spray a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray and spread the oat mixture onto the bottom of the pan.  Place in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes and checking to make sure mixture does not burn. 

Remove from the oven and let cool!

1 serving of dry granola:
Calories239.6
Fat8.9g
Protein11.7g
Carbs30.8g

Try it with 1 cup of Silk Unsweetened Almond milk, 1/2 cup raspberries, stevia to taste and a side of 4 egg whites with 1 c. spinach and 1 TBS of salsa and you have an AMAZING high protein/complex carb combo breakfast for less than 380 calories!

Happy Eating!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    I recently found your blog and i love it!!!
    I was wondering if i can maybe be in touch with you to get some advice. Do you work with people to set up meal plans and workout plans for them? I have 3 small children and over time have gained a lot of weight that i am really ready to lose. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete